Most homeowners consider their dining room table the heart of their home. It’s where friends and family gather to share a meal, catch up, and make life-long memories. Current-day homeowners expect their furniture to be versatile as well as stunning. Extendable dining tables check both of those needs. The team at Carters Furniture has compiled an extendable dining table buying guide to help provide all the information you could need for your Kidderminster home. Our guide will cover the benefits of this style of table, different materials, how to calculate your seating capacity, and everything in between. We encourage you to keep reading to learn more, and when you’re ready, visit our showroom or shop our online store.
Discover the Benefits of a New Extendable Table
Extendable dining tables offer a vast selection of benefits ranging from looking great to durable options for large families. One of the best aspects of these dining tables is their versatility. Whether expecting a large dinner party or needing to save space for a special event, an extendable table can easily handle both. This table style has been around for a long time and is available in a wide range of options. We’ve compiled a list of some of the bigger benefits of using these tables, including
- Save Space – One of the most significant benefits is maximising all available space in your kitchen or dining room. Depending on the size of your dining room, you can choose a small, extendable dining table that fits snuggle in the space while being able to fit more when the need arises. We encourage everyone to maximise their space by investing in an extendable dining table.
- Variety of Types – There is a wealth of different types of extended tables available that will fit your style. You can find tables made from glass, metal, and wood. That doesn’t include the wide range of styles that can be seamlessly integrated into your home.
- Durability – A great benefit of investing in a new extendable dining room table is its durability. Due to their robust construction and simplistic design, most extendable dining tables are built to last for years under everyday use. This is partly due to how the tables function, as the table slides apart.
- Hold Their Value – Not only are these tables built to last, but they’re known to hold their value over time. If you need to resell your table, you’ll often find the price doesn’t differ too far from the purchase price.
Consider Your Needs and Available Space
When investing in a high-quality extendable table, there are a few things to consider. One of the first things to consider is the available space and the maximum size you can comfortably fit. We recommend measuring the intended space per the extended size. This will help you avoid complications where you don’t have enough room to fit more guests around your table. You should also consider the number of chairs you’ll need to fit guests comfortably. Are you planning on constantly keeping all the chairs around the table, or do you want to keep some chairs in storage until needed? It’s also vital not to ignore your needs when selecting a new dining table. When looking for a new table, it’s not just about style and design. Focusing on your needs may lead you to find the perfect extendable table.
Explore Different Extendable Table Material
When it comes to materials, there are several different options available. Some of the most common materials include solid wood, plywood, engineered wood, glass, and metal. The most preferred material for extendable tables is solid wood, such as teak, mango, rosewood, or mahogany. Solid wood is used as it offers unrivalled form, function, and durability. However, metals such as steel and iron are becoming a popular option. Metal is a robust material that boasts stability while adding an industrial look to any home. Regardless of your style or desired aesthetic, there’s bound to be a material that can seamlessly integrate into your home, ensuring a stunning but functional table.
Styles and Aesthetics for Any Home
Extendable dining tables are becoming more trendy as the days roll by. We’ve seen an uptick in companies creating new styles and designs ranging from traditional and modern to rustic. Whatever your aesthetic may be, there’s bound to be a table for you. You can easily find a table that matches your décor, or you could find something that stands out and makes a statement. These tables are designed to fit and fill any space. Something we recommend investing in is a set of stunning matching chairs. While your table is the centrepiece and will draw attention, the chairs can make or break the arrangement. Finding the right balance between form and function can mean finding a combination of chairs or dining benches to create an entirely harmonious atmosphere.
How the Extension Mechanism Works
While there are several different extension styles, it’s important to understand how these tables work. When broken down into the most basic components, extending tables consist of two main parts the main table and the extension leaves. Your new table is usually a fixed size that cannot be adjusted without adding the leaves. The leaves are either added or removed to help adjust the width or length of your table. Depending on the model and features you choose, there may be storage compartments within the table to hold and hide the leaves when not in use. Take a closer look at some of the most common extension styles
- Butterfly Extensions – This simple extension can easily add considerable space. It’s not uncommon for this style to have a space to discreetly store the leaves when not in use. To use this style, pull the table top apart and pull out the leaves like butterfly wings.
- Drop Lead Extensions – This is one of the oldest and most trusted extension styles. These are more commonly found on smaller tables and use hidden sections that flip up or down and are usually secured with supports that slide out when extended.
- Fold Out Flip Top Extensions – Fold out and flip top extensions folds will flip up onto themselves to create ample table space. Mostly found on square tables and transform the overall shape into a rectangle.
Practical Features for Your Table
As you look at the extendable tables we offer, we recommend seeing what features they offer. Even minor features, such as built-in storage for extension leaves or easy-to-use mechanisms like spinning extensions, can elevate specific tables above others. The flexibility offered by this style of table is staggering. You can find the perfect combination of style, function, and features to make hosting your next dinner party a breeze. If you’re unsure of what you’re looking for or feel overwhelmed, we encourage you to visit our showroom or reach out. Our seasoned professionals are standing by to help answer any questions while providing expert recommendations.
Guidelines on How to Calculate Seating Capacity
Finding the right size to fit all potential guests can be complicated, but with our extended dining table guide, you will discover the best table to fit your needs. To find the right size, consider the table’s dimensions and how many seats you anticipate hosting. While the table can extend to fit more, so will the space required to fit everyone comfortably. For example, a traditional four-seater table with an expansion can comfortably seat up to six guests. We recommend adding two to the non-extended seating size to find the seating capacity. This also depends on the style, shape, and size of the extension of your table.
Be Aware of Your Budget
Whether it’s the first thing you look at or the last, it’s important to consider prices when investing in a new dining table. Extendable dining tables range in price, ensuring everyone is bound to find something that meets all their needs without exceeding their budget. We believe it’s important to remember the link between cost and quality. If you’re looking for a unique piece that quickly makes a statement in your home and is crafted from premium materials, the price will naturally be higher. However, it’s important to review manufacturers’ warranties before buying. This can make or break a table for you.
Tips for Maintaining Your Extendable Table
Keeping your extendable table stunning for years to come doesn’t have to be an arduous task. We’ve pulled together some of the most influential and straightforward tips to ensure your extendable table lasts as long as possible without showing its age. Take a look at our lists of tips, including
- Use Heat Pads and Coasters – Condensation from drinks can lead to white rings that can stain your tabletop. Further, the condensations left could lead to moisture damage to wooden tables. Placing hot items directly onto the table can scorch the top, leaving an unsightly mark behind. We recommend always using coasters and heat pads when possible.
- Placemats – When everyone is gathered for a lovely meal together, placements are a perfect addition to add a splash of colour and character while protecting the table from avoidable stains.
- Wipe Down Between Meals and Functions – Wiping down your table between meals is a great way to keep your home looking polished while protecting your table. In the long run, this will help ensure your table lasts longer. You can use a warm, damp microfiber cloth with a little bit of mild soap to help keep your table clean, shining, and stunning.
- Use Furniture Polish – One of the best tips we can provide is to utilise a furniture polish designed for tables. This helps add an extra layer of protection to help you avoid scuffs and scratches.
Take a Trip to Our Showroom
Carters Furniture is proud to offer unrivalled and high-quality dining room tables. We hope our extendable dining table guide has inspired you and provided you with all the information needed to be excited and ready to explore what’s out there. Whether you’re looking for a more modern approach or want something rustic to fit a specific theme, we’re confident we’ll have what you want. We encourage you to visit our sprawling Kidderminster showroom. You can explore and find some of the top extendable table brands on the market and talk to our seasoned staff, who are happy to answer any of your questions. We carry many styles, aesthetics, and materials, ensuring you can find the table of your dreams. If you’re ready to find your extendable dining table, visit our showroom or explore our online store to find what speaks to you.