When you lay down after a long day of work and running errands, you want to quickly and comfortably drift off to sleep. You should be able to melt into your mattress and get the rest you desperately need. Is your mattress older and riddled with lumps and bumps, or is it too firm? Does this often lead to you tossing and turning all night? If so, it may be time to invest in a premium mattress topper from Carters Furniture in Kidderminster. We’ve created a top-notch mattress topper buying guide covering filler material, thickness, density, and how a new topper can elevate your sleep. If you’re ready to start, keep reading and visit our showroom to experience these mattress toppers yourself.
What is a Mattress Topper?
Mattress toppers are a great way to add comfort and support to your current mattress. They can easily alter the feel and style of your bed while providing a wide range of advantages and benefits. The thickness and density of the topper determine the support provided. Overall, a mattress topper is designed to increase the softness or firmness of your mattress while enhancing sleep quality. However, it’s not uncommon to see the terms mattress topper and mattress pad used interchangeably. A mattress topper and a pad are vastly different things. Your bed is a valuable investment, and both can protect your mattress, but that’s where the similarities end. Mattress toppers are designed to support and comfort your bed, and pads are similar to a fitted sheet. They’re primarily designed to protect your bed from stains and spills. With that out of the way, take a look at some of the benefits of using a mattress topper
- Added Comfort – One of the best benefits of investing in a top-notch mattress topper is how comfortable it makes your bed. With a mattress topper, you’ll feel like you’re sleeping on a brand-new mattress.
- Unrivalled Support – Regardless of whether you prefer a soft or firm mattress, it’s vital that your mattress provides support. A mattress topper will conform to your body’s natural curve to help relieve pressure while allowing your spine to fall into neutral alignment.
- Extended Lifespan – Mattress toppers can help extend the life of your current mattress. Not only do toppers act as a cover to protect from wear and tear, but they also add an extra layer of support, ensuring you won’t toss and turn at night. Over time, this reduces wear and tear to your mattress, ensuring it lasts longer.
Why Should I Invest in a Mattress Topper?
As you start your search, we recommend taking some time to identify what about your bed you don’t like. Is your bed too firm or soft? Do you wake up with back pain? These questions can help guide you and help you find the perfect mattress topper. Mattress toppers help cover your bed’s shortcomings while improving its support and comfort. Further, these accessories help address common issues such as back pain, pressure points, allergies, and temperature fluctuations. They act as a protective layer against dust, stains, and sweat. Investing in a mattress topper will allow you to improve your comfort level.
Explore Why Material Matters
Mattress toppers come in a wide range of styles and materials. When purchasing a new mattress topper, it’s important to consider what filling is used. Each material offers a different range of pros and cons. We’ve compiled a brief overview of some of the most common materials, including latex, memory foam, and more. It’s essential to invest in a material that is suited to your specific needs. Here is our list of different mattress topper materials
- Latex – Latex mattress toppers can be expensive but are known to provide exemplary support and comfort. It boasts unrivalled support for your hips, backs, and shoulders in any sleeping position. These toppers can range from soft to extra firm densities. Further, it’s the most durable topper material and doesn’t feel as hot as others. However, it can be heavy to move around and will often feel firmer than other materials of the same density.
- Memory Foam – This is the most popular choice of materials. Each topper is designed to seamlessly conform to your body regardless of your preferred sleeping position. It’s also great for those who suffer from pressure point pain. Similar to latex, it’s available in a wide range of densities. A drawback is that memory foam is known to hold body heat, which may make it easier to overheat.
- Wool – Wool is a naturally soft and comfortable material that is highly durable and built to last. It’s the ideal material for individuals who suffer from allergies or who have issues with synthetic materials. If you’re someone who overheats quickly, wool is known to remain cool in the summer and warm in the winter. Unlike latex or memory foam, wool doesn’t conform to the body as efficiently, and it’s not ideal if you prefer a firmer sleep surface.
- Feather and Down – This bedding most commonly utilises feathers from geese or ducks and is known for its softness and comfort. However, this may not be the material for you if you have allergy issues. It’s a more affordable option when compared to latex or memory foam, but it is not the best at regulating temperatures.
Importance of Durability and Longevity
Like any other product, mattress toppers have an average lifespan of three to five years. Different factors impact the longevity of your topper, such as frequency of use, thickness, and density, and if it’s properly maintained. However, it’s important to note that investing in quality materials and premium construction often results in unrivalled durability. This increased durability will lead to a long-lasting mattress topper. For example, high-quality natural latex lasts longer and is more durable than synthetic and blended. Wool is another material that lasts for at least four years before showing signs of wear and tear. When investing in a mattress topper, we recommend using natural materials from a premium manufacturer. You’ll notice a difference in quality, comfort, and longevity.
Discover the Perfect Thickness and Density
If this is your first time looking at mattress toppers, you may be confused by the mention of density and thickness. We find it beneficial to understand both elements as they affect the overall level of comfort and support. The topper’s density is directly related to the amount of support provided. On average, the higher the density, the more support but poorer ventilation. Thickness is related to the topper’s overall comfort. The thicker the topper, the more support, and the thinner generally relate to more comfort. For example, most mattress toppers are around 4cm-5cm and go up to 7cm-10cm. Each material offers different levels of comfort and support based on thickness and density. If you’re unsure which combination works for you, we recommend the middle option for density and thickness. You can always visit our showroom to try out the difference for yourself.
Find the Right Combination for Your Sleep Position
Each of us has our own preferred sleep position, and each position comes with its own set of pros and cons. Certain positions require additional support to avoid back pain, acid reflux, and snoring. Regardless of whether you prefer to sleep on your back, side, or stomach, a mattress topper can provide the necessary support and comfort to ensure you avoid aches and pains while getting the sleep you need. For example, sleeping on your stomach makes it hard for your spine to remain aligned, which is a perfect recipe for chronic back pain. If you sleep on your stomach, you may need a firm but comfortable mattress topper to encourage you to rotate to your side slowly and, eventually, your back. The correct firmness is slightly different for everyone, but trying your new topper is vital to ensure it’s just right.
Keep Cool at Night
One of the most common complaints regarding mattresses is individuals overheating at night. Your mattress has a lot to do with this issue. Thicker materials like memory foam are comfortable but tend to trap heat. As you sleep, your body constantly generates heat, and it goes into your mattress, making you heat up more. Regulating your temperature is vital to get a great night’s sleep. Utilising a mattress topper is one way to help divert and disperse the summer heat or keep you warm during the cold winter night. We recommend wool, latex, gel, or polyfoam mattress toppers to keep cool. If you constantly fluctuate temperatures while sleeping, switching up your sleeping positions may help keep you comfortable all night long.
If you suffer from allergies, it’s important you have a safe place to relax and rest each night. We recommend investing in mattress toppers with washable synthetic fills or naturally hypoallergenic materials. Materials such as memory foam are easy to clean while keeping allergens away. Wool is a natural hypoallergenic choice that offers unrivalled allergen protection while remaining washable. While you can wash most mattress toppers, ensuring your topper looks great and is allergen-free lies in proper care and maintenance rather than direct cleaning. We recommend always following the manufacturer’s cleaning guidelines. However, you can follow a few common steps regardless of the material. Start by vacuuming your topper with a soft brush attachment to remove dirt and debris. Spot-clean any stains with a mild detergent. Last, let the topper thoroughly air-dry before using.
Consider the Balance Between Budget and Value
When investing in a new mattress topper, finding a perfect balance between quality and value is important. You’ll want something that provides you with the best possible comfort and support without the cost of features that aren’t necessary. As you plan your budget, it’s important to remember that higher-quality models and materials tend to last longer and offer more support but come with a higher price. When comparing toppers, we recommend reading reviews and comparing ratings between brands, as this can help you narrow down what materials and features you want. It’s also important to consider other factors, such as allergies, if you overheat, if you sleep alone, and more. These can help guide you in your search to find the right topper.
Stop By Our Showroom Today
If you’re tired of sleepless nights, waking up exhausted, or fighting fatigue due to the comfort of your mattress or lack thereof, it’s time to invest in a quality mattress topper. We hope our mattress topper buying guide has given you all the information and insight you need to make an exciting and confident decision. A premium mattress topper can revolutionise how you sleep, allowing you to wake up refreshed and prepared for the day ahead. Carters Furniture encourages you to visit our Kidderminster showroom to discover the comfort and difference an excellent mattress topper can make. We’re confident that we have the solutions you need to get back to sleeping peacefully night after night. If you have any questions, we encourage you to reach out and talk to our team of knowledgeable representatives in person or over the phone. Be sure to visit our showroom or view our online shop; we’re the ultimate bedroom furniture destination. Find your new topper today.