Try Our Sofa Buying Guide in Kidderminster
Are you looking to make a statement while transforming your living room into something modern, comfortable, and functional? Corner sofas provide an elegant solution that allows you to tailor fit a sofa to your specific angles. They’re versatile pieces available in various configurations, colours, and styles. Carters Furniture has created a corner sofa buying guide to help elevate your Kidderminster or Worcester home by finding the right piece to tie everything together. The guide will cover benefits, styles, additional features, materials, and more. We aim to ensure you have all the information you need to choose your next corner sofa confidently. When you’re ready, we encourage you to shop at our online store or visit our showroom to try these sofas.
Find Your New Style
When you’re ready to buy a new sofa, it’s important to consider what shape is suitable for your space. Corner sofas come in various styles and designs; choosing what to get depends on your aesthetic and home. Are you looking for your couch to stand out or match your existing décor? Do you want something more modern, contemporary, or minimalist? These questions can help direct you in your search. If you want to match your current aesthetic, we recommend choosing complementary colours and never underestimate the benefit of accent pillows. Regardless of if you’re looking for a minimalist or a traditional sofa, one of the most important things to consider is the shape of your new couch. Take a look at some of the most popular shapes and styles
- L-Shaped Sofas – The L-shape is classic. It’s the perfect shape for smaller rooms looking to maximise space. While they come in several styles, they most commonly feature a two or three-seater sofa section and a chaise lounge at the other end.
- C-Shaped Sofa – C-shaped sofas are expansive, often featuring three sofa sections. These are generally recommended for larger families or households that love to host get-togethers.
- Curved/U-Shaped Sofa – One of the more unusual shapes. These are similar to L-shape but feature a rounded back versus a 90-degree angle. With this style, you get the exact placement advantages as L-shaped sofas, the only difference being aesthetics.
- Reclining Corner Sofa – This corner sofa style features a comfortable reclining function. These are the most popular styles on the market currently. They offer an unrivalled luxury and can be easily customised to fit your needs better. Reclining corner sofas require more space behind them ]than traditional sofas. We recommend measuring the space needed when fully reclined.
- Modular Corner Sofa – Most sofas today feature modules that can be swapped and moved to better fit your needs. These modules include a chaise section, headrests, footrests, and everything else. With a modular corner sofa set, you can adjust and move to your heart’s desire, but we recommend ensuring the entire set is something you would use for your home. It may not be easy to find individual elements and modules.
What’s Better, Left or Right-Hand Facing?
Unlike most furniture pieces, corner sofas have one long and one short edge. One of the most common questions we see is whether a right-hand or left-hand facing corner sofa is better. The answer comes down to several factors. Most importantly, it’s determined by the orientation of your space. We recommend taking measurements of the room while having an image of what you want the finished room to look and feel. Will your new sofa be placed in a corner, or will it help separate and direct traffic flow in a space? All these questions lead to determining which version is best for you.
Benefits of New Corner Sofas
Corner sofas boast a wide variety of benefits that can help elevate any space. One of the most significant benefits is the nearly limitless versatility. With a great modular couch, you can move, swap, and reconfigure your couch to fit your needs best. Further, our corner sofas are from leading brands known for their durability and quality. Here is a brief overview of some additional benefits of investing in a new corner sofa
- Maximise Space – Corner sofas allow you to make the most out of any space. These are incredibly impactful in smaller rooms.
- More Seating Space – These sofas provide plenty of space for your family to relax or friends to gather. Depending on the style, you can easily fit up to six people. The options are nearly endless.
- Unrivalled Style – Your sofa is the focal point of your living room, even if it’s in a corner. One of the best benefits of investing in a new corner sofa is the range of distinct and unique styles, along with the colours available. You’ll easily be able to find a sofa that seamlessly fits into your aesthetic.
Consider These Factors Before Buying
We recommend considering a few factors once you search for your new sofa. It’s essential that you measure your space correctly and accurately before selecting a corner sofa. You should not only measure the width, length, and height of the couch, but you need to consider the depth as well. Knowing these can help you better map out the space in your home to provide a rough visual guide. One of the biggest tips we can provide is to measure each access point. This means taking measurements of windows, doors, and staircases to ensure the couch will fit easily and without hassle into your home.
Explore Different Sofa Materials and Upholsteries
The material and upholstery you choose will impact your new sofa's feel, look, and durability. While looking at materials, it’s vital to be aware of the benefits and drawbacks of each. Certain materials are more durable than others, some are more comfortable, and so on. We’ve pulled together some of the most common materials used
- Cotton – Cotton is a natural material that combines softness, durability, and breathability. It’s an extremely popular choice as it’s resistant to pilling and wear and cleans easily. You can find this material in a wide variety of colours.
- Linen – Like cotton, linen is a breathable natural material with a stylish and relaxed look. It’s known for its durability, but it stains and wrinkles easily. We recommend using this material for low-traffic areas.
- Leather – This is a highly durable, stain-resistant material. It’s perfect for everyday wear and tear that cleans well. Without a doubt, a quality leather sofa is built to last.
- Polyester – Polyester is a synthetic material known for durability and resistance to fading. This material also holds its shape well and does not stretch or sag over time. We believe this is an excellent choice for high-traffic areas.
Make Your Home Pop With These Colours
When adding a new sofa to an already decorated space or wanting to make a statement, choosing the right colour is essential. If you plan to add a sofa to a room, you’ll have to decide if the sofa will be neutral or act as an accent piece. The newest trend is for your sofa to match the wall colour, allowing it to unify and enlarge the room, but choosing a contrasting colour can draw attention. If you’re unsure which option is best, we recommend trying neutral colours that offer the most versatility. You can always add a splash of colour with accent blankets and pillows.
Ensure Your New Corner Sofa is Comfortable
We’ve gathered some tips on ensuring your new sofa is as comfortable as possible. While looking, the seat depth should allow your feet to comfortably touch the floor. Further, the height of the back cushions will determine how supportive the couch feels. It’s also important to consider the angle of the cushions, as straight-backed cushions are great for support but not for laying together on the couch. Another aspect that can help determine comfort is the material used in the cushions. High-density foam ensures the couch is solid and comfortable, but you may want to opt for something softer, such as feathers. Materials such as poly fibre are great options if you want your couch to retain its bounce for years to come. You can usually determine the comfort of a cushion based on how quickly it regains its shape after some pressure. One of the best ways to ensure your new couch is comfortable is to visit our showroom and try it yourself. If you’re looking, we encourage you to come try out our couches, as seeing them in person can make all the difference.
Be Aware of Your Budget
As you browse our extensive collection of corner sofas, you should consider your budget. Our selection of sofas ranges in price, allowing you to find the right combination of features without exceeding your budget. However, it’s important to consider how a new corner sofa is a wonderful investment. There is a tangible link between the associated cost and a higher-quality product. High-quality sofas can easily provide years of comfort and satisfaction that will pay for itself in the long run. Regardless of whether you’re looking for something to fit into an already dedicated style or you want something loud and proud and made from premium materials, the price will reflect that.
Tips on How to Maintain Your New Couch
After you’ve brought home your new sofa, it’s important to ensure it always looks stunning. Proper cleaning and maintenance can help extend the life of your couch while preventing stains and odours. We’ve pulled together some simple tips on how to clean and maintain your new purchase, including
- Keep Your Couch Out of Direct Sunlight – Over time, sunlight can damage your couch and cause it to fade.
- Dust With a Soft Cloth – It’s important to routinely dust your new sofa with a soft cloth. You can use a cleaning product specifically designed for your couch material to help ensure a clean and stunning sofa.
- Vacuum Upholstery Bi-Weekly – Depending on the material, we recommend vacuuming your upholstery bi-weekly. This helps remove dust and dirt from the surface. It can also help remove any set-in stains.
- Dry Brush Hair and Lint – Hair and lint love to stick to couches. You should use a dry bristle brush every few weeks to remove loose hair and lint.
- Clean Spills Immediately – To avoid stains, cleaning any spills immediately is vital. Depending on the nature of the spill, you may need to use a mild cleaner. Always refer to the cleaning tag attached to the sofa.
Take a Trip to Our Showroom Today
Investing in a new sofa is a major and exciting decision, as it’s often the piece that makes your living room work and comes together. Corner sofas provide unrivalled flexibility to style a room that speaks to you. Whether you’re planning on placing it against a wall or in the middle of your room, they can help direct the flow of activity. Carters Furniture invites you to visit our showroom to explore our stunning collection of corner sofas. We encourage you to come and try your new sofas. Regardless of whether you’re looking for a more traditional style or want to make your new sofa pop, we’re confident we’ll have the right sofa for you. At our Kidderminster showroom, our team of seasoned staff is standing by to help answer all your questions while providing expert recommendations. We hope our corner sofa buying guide helped you find a style and shape that suits your lifestyle and fills you with joy. Visit our showroom or explore our online store to find your new couch today.