We all know the story of RMS Titanic, the most famous shipwreck in our current culture. It is known, that this prestigious ship had Vispring supply all of the bedding for the first-class cabins on the Titanic.
Titanic was launched from Belfast on May 31, 1911, and on April 10, 1912, set sail on its maiden voyage, with 2,240 passengers and crew on board. 4 days later, on April 14, 1912, the Titanic struck an iceberg in the North Atlantic. It broke apart and sank to the bottom of the ocean, taking with it the lives of more than 1,500 passengers and crew.
While there have been salvage efforts outside of the major hull portions, most of the ship remains in its final resting place, 12,000 feet below the sea, and around 350 miles off the coast of Newfoundland, Canada. The site of the wreck is recognised internationally as a memorial to the lives that were lost in the tragedy.
First Class Passengers of Note
There were several notable figures on board the Titanic when it left Southampton. Some of them survived, but many of them perished with the rest of the casualties. Amongst these notable were:
- John Jacob Astor-The richest man on the ship, he was travelling with his wife, Madeleine, who was five months pregnant at the time. Mr Astor perished, but Mrs. Astor survived the wreck.
- Benjamin Guggenheim- Guggenheim was accompanied by his mistress, a French singer named Léontine Aubart, his valet, Victor Giglio, his chauffeur, René Pernot, and Madame Aubart's maid, Emma Sägesser. Guggenheim and his valet assisted women and children entering the lifeboats. When all the boats had gone, they changed into their finest evening clothes and prepared to “die like gentlemen”. The mistress and her maid were the only ones of that party that survived.
- Sir Cosmo and Lady Duff Gordon-Lady Duff Gordon was a famous dress designer whose clientele included such celebrities as Isadora Duncan, Oscar Wilde, and the British Royal Family. Both Sir Cosmo and Lady Duff survived, but they were accused of bribing the crew not to let more than 12 people get in their lifeboat. They were later acquitted of these charges.
- Molly Brown-She was the daughter of a poor Irish immigrant. She became wealthy when her husband struck it rich mining for silver. She was returning home to America aboard the Titanic. She earned the nickname, the Unsinkable Molly Brown by surviving the wreck.
- Isador and Ida Straus-Straus was a partner in Macy’s department store in New York. He and his wife were returning from Holiday on the Titanic. Ida boarded a lifeboat, but then got out to be with her husband. She was quoted as saying to him, “We’ve been living together for many years, and where you go, I go”. They both perished.
In 1899, a British engineer, James Marshall was concerned about his wife’s health when she was taken ill in Canada. He hand-made a supportive mattress for her with coiled springs wrapped in muslin. This was a revolutionary design and was the prototype for the pocket springs now found in mattresses from many manufacturers.
Two years later, business partners Jon Nolon and Frederick James brought that design back to Britain and decided to produce similar bespoke mattresses commercially. They formed a corporation named the Marshall Sanitary Mattress Company. In 1911, the name of the company was changed to Vispring.
From 1940 to 1946, Vispring supported the war effort in Britain by producing aeroplane parts in its north London workshop.
In 1912, Vispring received the prestigious Queens Award for Enterprise. Instituted by Royal Warrant, this award honours business that have excelled in the fields of international trade, innovation, or sustainable development. The presentation ceremony was a proud moment for the company’s staff.
Vispring was also the first UK mattress firm to be granted the prestigious Woolmark quality assurance certification. The Woolmark Certification Program tests and provides assurance of the quality of wool apparel, wool yarn and fabric, wool care product and wool processing technology.
These days, every Vispring mattress is made to order by skilled technicians in our workshop in Plymouth, on England’s south west coast, but every stage in their manufacturing process is the same as it was back in 1901. Over 200 skilled craftspeople work in the Plymouth workshop, and their beds are stocked by over 500 retailers worldwide.
What’s the Connection Between Vispring and the Titanic?
As Visprings reputation for quality bespoke mattress spread, the White Star Line noticed, and they had Vispring supply all of the bedding for the first class cabins on the Titanic.
In 2022, in honor of the 100th anniversary of Titanic’s fateful voyage, Vispring created a replica of the mattresses onboard the ship and dubbed this line The Heritage Mattress. This mattress is made by hand, using a system of individually pocketed springs and a mix of natural materials including pure fleece wool and horsetail, similar to the materials used in Vi-Spring’s early designs.
Vi-Spring beds combine technical prowess with a bespoke approach worthy of the finest tailoring. They are the product of a ceaseless quest for the ultimate in quality coupled with lasting respect for traditional workmanship. Each Vi-Spring mattress is still handcrafted and made to order using only the finest natural materials. Synonymous with comfort and luxury for more than 100 years, Vi-Spring continues to make bespoke beds for luxury yachts, hotels, and bedrooms of distinction all over the world.
Pocket Spring Technology
All of Visprings mattresses are hand-made and use the pocket spring technology. When needed, each spring moves independently, which means that sleeping partners are less likely to disturb one another when turning in bed. This also means that every part of the bed is properly supported. Uniquely, all the springs used in their mattresses are actually made in their Plymouth workshop.
Pocket Springs vs Memory Foam
In recent years, memory foam has become very popular as a type of mattress padding, and there are some very fine memory foam mattresses, but pocket spring mattresses have been around for a long time, and they offer a proven technology and certain advantages over memory foam.
- Pocket spring mattresses are generally more affordable than memory foam mattresses of similar quality.
- Every comfort type can be found in pocket spring mattresses.
- Pocket spring mattresses are more responsive and have a bouncier feel than memory foam, so they’re well suited to those who prefer a more traditional feel.
- Innerspring mattresses have been the industry standard for over 100 years, pocket springs are the most modern version of spring supported mattresses, and the technology has been tried and tested for decades.
- Pocket spring mattresses can have a longer lifespan when compared to other types of mattresses.
- They’re good for hot sleepers, as the coil structure offers ample airflow. Memory foam mattresses can be hotter than normal because they conform to your body and the dense foam absorbs your body’s heat.
- In hot climates, memory foam can be softer and in colder climates, it can be harder than expected.
- Memory foam mattresses, especially when new, can give off an odour if they haven’t been aired properly.
Choosing the Right Vispring Mattress for Your Home
When selecting a new mattress, your first decision is size. Vispring mattresses are available in the following sizes:
- Small single-2’6-these mattresses are great for children and fit into tight spaces.
- Single-3’0-slightly wider than the small single, this size is good for older children or to be used as a guest room mattress.
- Small double-4’0-this one is slightly smaller than a standard double and is suitable for two adults in a smaller bedroom.
- Standard double-4’6-a standard double can comfortably sleep two average adults.
- King -5’0-wider and slightly longer than the standard double, the king size mattress sleeps two and is much roomier than the double. This size is good for couples who disturb each other in the night, or for folks who find children or dogs with them in their beds.
- Super king-6’0-this mattress is particularly suited for taller or heavier sleepers, and will work well in a larger bedroom.
Your next option is the degree of firmness that you desire. Vispring mattresses are available in the following degrees of firmness:
- Extra Firm
The best level of firmness is a highly subjective choice, and each person may have a different preference. However, there are some firmness guidelines. Here are some suggestions for the best firmness levels based on your sleeping position and weight. You’ll notice that some firmness levels overlap others:
|Firmness level||Best Suited For|
|Soft||Side sleepers under 130 pounds|
|Medium||Side sleepers between 130 and 230 pounds|
|Firm||Side sleepers over 230 pounds, back and stomach sleepers over 130|
|Extra Firm||Back and stomach sleepers over 230 pounds|
Many suffer from chronic back pain and often their mattresses can be partially to blame. If your mattress sags, it can aggravate a bad back. The best way to combat this is to choose a Vispring mattress that offers enough comfort to alleviate your chronic pain.
Because each Vispring mattress is made to order, you can request a mattress with one level of firmness on half of the mattress and another level on the other half. This is especially suited to couples who can’t agree on the optimum firmness level of their bed.
Guaranteed Quality Workmanship
All Vispring beds are covered by a 30 year Guarantee. If yours requires attention, you can contact the store from which you bought it. Vispring will then repair or replace the item as appropriate.
Try Before You Buy
As with any mattress, you need to try it out before you make such a purchase. You can do this at our Carters Bed City showroom. We offer the area’s largest selection of Vispring beds with expertly trained sales staff who are on hand to help you find the perfect bed for the best possible night’s sleep.
Here at Carters Furniture , we pride ourselves on the vast selection of furniture that we offer, along with our outstanding customer service. Our highly trained staff can provide you with the right advice and information so that you can make the most of your furniture purchase. Because of the special relationships we have with our suppliers, we are able to source furniture from all over the globe, as well as products that are manufactured locally, and we can offer the lowest prices on all of the products we sell. In fact, we have a low price guarantee that states that we will match or beat any competitors price on identical products. We have 2 large showrooms full of the most stylish, practical, and high quality furniture and bedding, and our stores are open seven days a week to serve you.
If you’d like more information about the products and services we offer, visit our website or call us at 01562 540862 (Carters Furniture Store) or 01562 66396 (Carters Bed City). Even better, stop by either of our locations to see for yourself. We look forward to serving you!